Thursday, October 20, 2011

Serendipity at Textures!

by Monika Minnis - Textures member since 2011




One of the things I love about Textures is that you never know who is going to walk through the door, or the conversations that will ensue. On one of my recent shifts, I met Agnes Hayhurst and her husband, John. Agnes is a raku sculptor and potter, and was a long standing member of Textures in the early days. She was active in the Hamilton Artisan's Guild as well.


Agnes and John Hayhurst.


I may have missed all of this info because the store was very busy that day, but I usually have Core Member, Margo Griffith's words, "Always greet every customer!" ringing in my ears.


 Margo and Tom Griffith.


And so Agnes and I discussed everything about Textures past and present, including how marbles are today's gemstones!


By the time Agnes and John left the store, we had made plans for a visit due to having things in common. I'm a ceramicist as well and was excited about seeing her work. The visit was such a pleasure and I would never have made this connection but for the serendipity of being behind the counter at Textures that day!
















 
 
  Illustrated bowl by Monika Minnis.


Making these kinds of connections is one of the things that sets our collective apart. I hope this aspect is always nurtured. Textures has quite a history, and to me it is one of the icons of the arts community in Hamilton. With new customers, long standing supporters and members past and present, you never know who is going to visit.



Cheers to Agnes and John for popping in and making my day!


Monika Minnis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good job Monika. Agnes was a superb raku and smoke-fired potter. Nice to see she and John haven't really changed at all. Glad you enjoyed your visit with them. M.